How do I know if I need a wire dental retainer?

Your orthodontist will help you decide what type of retainer you need after braces. After getting your braces removed, you don’t want your teeth to shift back to their previous position. A retainer is useful for this “retention” phase of treatment. The wire dental retainer is glued to the back of the teeth and would be worn all of the time.

Alternatives to a wire dental retainer include the common Hawley-type retainer, a piece of plastic usually molded to the roof of the mouth. It has wires attached to the plastic, and it stays in place with wires going over the front of your teeth. This type of retainer is removable (and easy to lose), and you usually wear it 12 to 24 hours a day. Another option is a clear plastic retainer that covers the teeth, called a “vacuform” or Essix-type retainer, which is also removable.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
The easiest thing to do is see an orthodontist. Many people do not realize that orthodontists do an ...
Are braces magnetized?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Braces are not magnetized. They are usually made of stainless steel or porcelain composite. There ha...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
What tests can determine if I need to be treated for crooked teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Braces and orthodontic treatment are used to correct “bad bites,” or malocclusion (teeth that are cr...