How do I know if I need a wire dental retainer?

Your orthodontist will help you decide what type of retainer you need after braces. After getting your braces removed, you don’t want your teeth to shift back to their previous position. A retainer is useful for this “retention” phase of treatment. The wire dental retainer is glued to the back of the teeth and would be worn all of the time.

Alternatives to a wire dental retainer include the common Hawley-type retainer, a piece of plastic usually molded to the roof of the mouth. It has wires attached to the plastic, and it stays in place with wires going over the front of your teeth. This type of retainer is removable (and easy to lose), and you usually wear it 12 to 24 hours a day. Another option is a clear plastic retainer that covers the teeth, called a “vacuform” or Essix-type retainer, which is also removable.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...