How do moldable, store-bought mouth guards compare to custom mouth guards?

Mouth guards, whether custom or heat moldable, should be properly fitted in order to fully protect the teeth and absorb the force of any blows to the chin. Custom mouth guards have the upper hand, as they tend to last longer and provide a better fit than the dip-and-bite varieties. However, they can be expensive; if they are too expensive for your budget, heat-moldable mouth guards are perfectly acceptable. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...