How long are titanium braces effective?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
There are thee basic parts to orthodontic "braces;" brackets, wires, and ligatures. The wires and other auxiliaries like rubber bands and springs are the parts of the braces that actually provide the tooth moving forces. Elastic components remain effective for up to a month. The wires can remain effective for up to 10 weeks or more depending upon how far the teeth need to move.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Braces, also called orthodontics, can improve the appearance of teeth in both children and in adults...
What is an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who first became a general dentist (usually 4 years of traini...
Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...