How long are metal braces effective?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
There are thee basic parts to orthodontic "braces;" brackets, wires, and ligatures. The wires and other auxiliaries like rubber bands and springs are the parts of the braces that actually provide the tooth moving forces. Elastic components remain effective for up to a month. The wires can remain effective for up to 10 weeks or more depending upon how far the teeth need to move.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
What is a space maintainer?
A space maintainer is a device to keep a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon. Baby...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...