How long are invisible (lingual) braces effective?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
There are thee basic parts to orthodontic "braces;" brackets, wires, and ligatures. The wires and other auxiliaries like rubber bands and springs are the parts of the braces that actually provide the tooth moving forces. Elastic components remain effective for up to a month. The wires can remain effective for up to 10 weeks or more depending upon how far the teeth need to move.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...