How long does my child need to wear metal braces?

Wear time for most types of braces ranges from one to three years and usually require more time when teeth are more severely crooked and misaligned. After the braces are removed, your child will likely need to wear a retainer for at least six months.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...