How long does my child need to wear clear braces?

How long your child will need to wear clear braces -- either brackets or aligners -- will depend on how much her teeth need to be moved. With brackets, the average treatment for children is slightly less than the two to three years that it usually takes for adults, because children's bones are still growing. Because there is more friction on the wires connecting ceramic or plastic brackets, it may take longer to move teeth than with conventional brackets. With clear plastic aligners, the average treatment for children is less than a year. But clear plastic aligners don't necessarily work faster than brackets. Aligners usually are used on less severe problems, which is why the treatment time may be faster.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...
Am I too old to get braces?
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...