How long is orthodontic cervical headgear effective?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontic cervical headgear is effective as long as the patient wears it. However, if you are trying to modify the growth of the upper jaw, the patient must be growing and it is important to wear at least 12-14 hours per night. The main purpose of cervical headgear is to restrict the growth of the upper jaw. If the patient is not growing anymore, or growing very little, the headgear will have little to no effectiveness.

The cervical headgear can be effective in moving the upper molars back but only if worn 24 hours per day. Usually, headgear is used on growing patients and prescribed only 12 hours at night. Adult patients are rarely, if ever, prescribed cervical headgear.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...