How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?

To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-rays and special measurements to see if you have a misaligned bite. If your teeth are crooked (called malocclusion), you may need to consider orthodontic treatment. If your jaws do not meet properly, it can cause your bite to be uneven and may wear down the enamel on certain teeth. 

It's recommended that children have an orthodontic evaluation by age 7. Then starting at ages 8 to 14, orthodontic treatment can begin. This treatment usually lasts about two years, depending on the severity of the orthodontic problem.

Adults can also have an orthodontic evaluation and complete correction with braces. If you're concerned about crooked or misaligned teeth, talk to your dentist.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Should I eat differently if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of co...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
The easiest thing to do is see an orthodontist. Many people do not realize that orthodontists do an ...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...
What is an orthodontist?
Orthodontics is a dental specialty. It includes the diagnosis, prevention, interception, and correct...