How do I know if my child needs metal braces?

You will know if your child needs metal braces by looking for crooked teeth, crowding, and spacing problems. If your child's teeth do not align properly, your child may benefit from metal braces. Talk to your child's dentist when your child is around 7, which is about the time permanent teeth should be in. The dentist may refer you to an orthodontist, a dentist who treats crooked teeth and jaw problems.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

The best way to know if you need braces is to have a consultation with an orthodontic specialist (an orthodontist). During your initial exam he will examine your face, teeth, supporting structures, and jaw. He will then use all of the findings to explain what is good and what could be improved. He will also explain treatment options like metal braces, clear braces, inside braces, and aligners. Most orthodontists do not charge for this initial evaluation, so call today!

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
Do orthodontists charge more than dentists?
Gregory R. Cannizzo, DDSGregory R. Cannizzo, DDS
According to a recent survey by a dental web site their results from this same question found that C...
What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...