How will I know if my child's metal braces were a success?

Your child’s orthodontist will follow your child through the process of moving her teeth with metal braces. The orthodontist will tell you when your child has achieved the best possible outcome with these braces. Generally, her teeth will be straighter, and without gaps. For the best results, it’s important that your child follows the orthodontist’s instructions after the braces have been removed, because she may need to wear a retainer for a few years to keep her teeth aligned.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Braces, also called orthodontics, can improve the appearance of teeth in both children and in adults...
What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...