How do invisible (lingual) braces work?

Invisible (lingual) braces correct orthodontic problems by moving teeth into an improved position. Orthodontic problems include bite problems and crowded, misaligned, or poorly spaced teeth.

Invisible braces are clear braces that are attached to the outside or inside of the teeth to correct the bite or straighten the teeth. Sometimes invisible braces can be mini-braces, which are smaller than traditional braces.

Generally, invisible braces are the color of your teeth, so they are not as noticeable as metal braces. Invisible braces are often a better option for adults that are receiving orthodontic treatment.

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Lingual braces (invisible braces) are just braces mounted on the inside of the teeth. They have the same basic parts as braces on the outside (wires, brackets, and some way to connect the two together). They move teeth by creating force on the teeth and require rubberbands, good oral hygiene, and Advil just like regular braces. They work like metal braces on the outside of the teeth and are invisible like Invisalign.

Invisible braces work the same way as the more traditional metal braces work. It's just that instead of having your teeth wired visibly, these braces are mounted on the backs of your teeth. All braces and orthodontic treatment are used to correct “bad bites,” or malocclusion (teeth that are crowded or crooked). 

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...