How are invisible (lingual) braces fitted?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Invisible or lingual braces (braces on the inside of the mouth) can be placed one of two ways. The first is called "direct" bonding. In this technique the doctor places the brackets directly on the teeth, one by one. Although it is possible to do it this way, it is difficult to get them in the best locations because of the limited space, lack of light, and difficulty to obtain direct vision. The second, and more common way is called "indirect" bonding. In this technique, the orthodontist arranges the brackets on a model of the teeth and transfers them to the mouth using a mouth guard-like tray. He thereby places the braces on the teeth indirectly. This technique is not only more accurate; it is also faster and more comfortable for the patient.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is a space maintainer?
A space maintainer is a device to keep a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon. Baby...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Braces, also called orthodontics, can improve the appearance of teeth in both children and in adults...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...