How can I help my child feel ok about wearing cervical headgear?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Helping your child feel OK about wearing cervical headgear is a common concern amongst parents. When your child faces anything new, it is helpful to talk about the new experience beforehand. Be sure to ask your orthodontic specialist for information about the cervical headgear, including photographs, so that you and your child can discuss the advantages and concerns regarding the appliance before the treatment is started.

Taking some time before this new experience can help your child cope with the demands of a new orthodontic appliance, especially one that requires diligent wear, care and following the instructions of your child's orthodontist. We have found it especially helpful for children to see before and after photographs of other similar-aged children who have worn cervical headgear. With a goal in their mind of what their smile and jaw alignment might look like with good compliance, children are more likely to accept the cervical headgear as an active participant in their orthodontic care.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...