How effective are metal braces compared to other types of braces?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
The color or style of braces has little to do with their effectiveness. The key is the diagnosis and treatment plan of the orthodontic specialist using them. Metal braces on the inside of the teeth and clear aligners that snap over the teeth can achieve identical results in similar cases in the hands of a qualified orthodontist. The color, location, and style are mainly a preference.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who first became a general dentist (usually 4 years of traini...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...