How effective are invisible (lingual) braces?

The effects of invisible (lingual) braces are often permanent. However, teeth can sometimes shift or revert to their prior positions if they are not properly cared for during and after treatment. You may require additional orthodontic devices after you have worn braces to ensure long-term success.

The length of effectiveness of metal braces is based on how quickly you progress and how committed you are to the entire treatment plan.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
The color or style of braces has little to do with their effectiveness. The key is the diagnosis and treatment plan of the orthodontic specialist using them. Metal braces on the inside of the teeth and clear aligners that snap over the teeth can achieve identical results in similar cases in the hands of a qualified orthodontist. The color, location, and style are mainly a preference.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...