How effective are dental space maintainers?

Dental space maintainers are very effective in keeping space open in the mouth after a baby tooth is lost prematurely. When it comes to caring for dental space maintainers, pediatric dentists have four rule for patients: 1) avoid sticky sweets and chewing gum; 2) do not push on the space maintainer with your fingers or tongue, 3) keep the space maintainer clean with regular brushing and flossing; and 4) continue regular dental visits.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...