How effective are clear braces compared to other types of braces?

The effectiveness of clear braces depends on which type you use and what kind of problem you are trying to treat. Some research suggests that clear plastic aligners are not as effective as traditional metal brackets, but the American Association of Orthodontists has stated that they may be used "to correct some problems." With clear ceramic or plastic braces, there may be more friction between the wires and the brackets, so they may take longer to work.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Braces, also called orthodontics, can improve the appearance of teeth in both children and in adults...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...