How can I control pain related to a wire dental retainer?

You should not feel any pain with a wire dental retainer. If you feel pain from a sharp wire or piece of glue, you should call your orthodontist to get the retainer repositioned and reglued. In the meantime, you can put a piece of dental wax over the sharp area that is causing discomfort. If you don’t have dental wax from the time you had braces, you can buy some at a drugstore. You can also try using tweezers to bend the wire back into place.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...
Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...