How can I reduce complications after getting a wire dental retainer?

A fixed wire retainer does not generally cause any complications, however, there are a few things to be aware of before getting a retainer. If you have pain from a sharp wire or piece of glue, you should call your orthodontist to get it repositioned and reglued. In the meantime, you can put a piece of dental wax over the wire that is causing discomfort. If you don’t have any dental wax left over from the time you had braces, you can purchase it at a drugstore. You can also use tweezers to bend the wire back into place.

If you have a history of gum loss due to gingivitis, or gum disease, make sure to clean your teeth thoroughly, as minor problems have occurred in some patients using a wire retainer. It’s also harder to clean the plaque that forms behind the teeth and next to the wire and cement, so make sure to brush your teeth carefully and floss between the wire and the gums. You can buy a special loop to thread the dental floss through the space under the wire, available at drugstores. (Your orthodontist or dentist can probably give you a sample as well.)

The cement holding the wire can sometimes come off and the wire is no longer attached to the tooth. This can happen naturally, or from eating foods that are hard or sticky, like crusty bread or gummy bears. Be sure to take special care when eating hard or sticky foods to prevent damage to the retainer.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...
What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...