How common is an orthodontic mouth guard in teens?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontic mouth guards are commonly recommended for active teens, especially during athletic activities. Your teenager should consider an orthodontic mouth guard if they are wearing braces and participating in contact sports. The American Association of Orthodontists and the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons co-sponsor National Facial Protection Awareness month each April and have produced helpful handouts on common questions parents might have about mouth guards.

If you are concerned about the safety of your child's teeth, lips and gums while wearing orthodontic braces and participating in sports or other physical activities that could lead to facial trauma, please ask your dentist, orthodontist or oral surgeon to recommend a mouth guard for your teenager.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...