How common are metal braces in teens?

Metal braces, which are metal brackets that attach to the front of teeth, are common among teens. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, most people get braces between the ages of 9 and 14. Teens and children, especially young girls, make up more than 78% of the people wearing braces.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...
What is a space maintainer?
A space maintainer is a device to keep a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon. Baby...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...