How common are Invisalign braces in teens?

Invisalign braces are becoming more common among teens. Invisalign Teen are removable aligner trays that correct alignment problems in teens ages 11 to 19 years old. Invisalign Teen can accommodate teeth as they grow in. As more teens become aware of Invisalign Teen, these braces may become more common.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

There are several factors in determining whether or not the Invisalign system will be successful in any given patient. Two of the most important are difficulty of the case and cooperation potential of the patient. If the teeth are too crowded, crooked, or the bite problems too complex, Invisalign will not be successful no matter how well they are worn. Conversely, removable treatment systems like Invisalign will not work even in the simplest cases if not worn. I have found in my practice that about 10% of my teens qualify for Invisalign treatment.

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
As Invisalign has advanced and improved over the last several years, it has also created a special appliance just for teens. The appliance takes into account factors such as erupting teeth, root alignment, and torquing of the roots to establish proper angulations to the teeth. As the appliance improves and the ability of the orthodontist to use Invisalign improves, you are seeing more and more orthodontists prescribe Invisalign as an alternative to traditional braces. In most orthodontic practices you will still see a small minority of teens using Invisalign, but that may change in the future as the technology gets better and better every year.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...