How common are Invisalign braces in children?

Invisalign braces, or clear aligner trays, are not common among children. In general, Invisalign is a set of aligner trays worn by adults to correct minor to moderate alignment problems of permanent teeth. Some adolescents can wear Invisalign Teen, which are designed for children ages 11 to 19.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

There are several factors in determining whether or not the Invisalign system will be successful in any given patient. Two of the most important are difficulty of the case and cooperation potential of the patient. If the teeth are too crowded, crooked, or the bite problems too complex, Invisalign will not be successful no matter how well they are worn. Conversely, removable treatment systems like Invisalign will not work even in the simplest cases if not worn. I have found in my practice that about 10% of my patients qualify for Invisalign treatment.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...
What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...
Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...
What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...