How common are clear braces in teens?

Clear braces are very common in teens. Overall, an estimated 3 million teens wear braces of some type. Most children are fitted for braces between the ages of 10 and 14 with many wearing retainers (appliances that hold teeth in place) into their 20s. For appearance-conscious teens, ceramic or plastic brackets are increasingly popular because they are less noticeable, and provide a favorable option to the "brace face" look of traditional braces.

Clear plastic aligners are another option for teens with less severe misalignment problems. Aligners are like invisible trays that are worn daily and can be removed for a few hours each day for eating, brushing, and other activities.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontic braces made of?
Orthodontic braces are made of non-magnetized materials of different types, including plastic, metal...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
Should I eat differently if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of co...
When shopping for braces, what should I ask?
There are many questions you should ask before purchasing an orthodontic treatment plan, such as the...