How will getting a clear plastic dental retainer effect how my teeth look?

Ultimately, a dental retainer will improve the look of your smile because it will align your teeth or preserve the work of the braces that you have previously worn.

Sometimes, retainers only need to be worn at night when you are sleeping. For other people, retainers must be worn during the day. Many retainers are visible due to the metal wire in front of the teeth that holds the teeth in place, although retainers with clear plastic wire are now available. There are now vacuform or invisible retainers made entirely of plastic that mold directly onto the teeth and aren’t as noticeable.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do orthodontists charge more than dentists?
Gregory R. Cannizzo, DDSGregory R. Cannizzo, DDS
According to a recent survey by a dental web site their results from this same question found that C...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...