How will a clear plastic dental retainer effect how my child's teeth look?

A dental retainer can improve the look of your child’s smile because it will align his teeth or preserve the work of the braces that he had previously worn.

Sometimes, retainers only need to be worn at night when your child is sleeping. For others, retainers must be worn during the day. Many retainers are visible because of the wire in front of the teeth that holds the teeth in place, although some now have clear plastic wires instead of metal.

There are also vacuform or invisible retainers made entirely of plastic that mold directly onto the teeth and aren’t as noticeable.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...