How common are clear plastic dental retainers in adults?

Most people undergo orthodontic treatment in the preteen or teenage years. This is the time when treatment can be most effective. These days, many adults are also seeking orthodontic treatment. So although clear plastic dental retainers are more common among teens, there are a significant number of adults who use them.

The drawback of receiving orthodontic treatment (and consequently, wearing a retainer to ensure that the benefits of treatment are maintained) is that it often comes with more complications. Adults are more likely to have gum problems and many also have jaw alignment problems that require surgery to correct. But the biggest obstacle is that adults are no longer growing, which can make orthodontic treatment more difficult.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is orthodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...