How are clear braces fitted?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

There are two ways that orthodontists place braces on your teeth, directly and indirectly. Direct bonding occurs when your doctor places each bracket on your teeth one by one. This procedure takes the doctor between 15 and 30 minutes at your chair. Indirect bonding takes place when the doctor places the braces first on a model of your teeth and then transfers them to your mouth using mouthguard material. This technique is very accurate and takes the orthodontist less than 5 minutes!

Clear braces can be fitted in several ways. Ceramic or plastic brackets are bonded to the front of your teeth with dental cement. Adjustable wires are then run through the brackets.

If you get removable clear plastic aligners, they slide inside your mouth similar to dentures and can be taken out as needed.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
Is orthodontic treatment necessary?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic treatment not only makes your smile look better, it also make the teeth easier to care f...
What is orthodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...