How are clear braces different than other braces?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Clear braces work exactly like metal ones except the bracket attached to the tooth is made out of clear porcelaine, plastic, or glass. The bracket is just a handle on the tooth. The real magic is in the wires and the other forces (i.e. rubberbands, chains, springs) that actually put pressure on the teeth. The teeth can't tell the difference between clear and metal, so choose which ever one suites your style or budget (clear ones cost more!)

Clear braces are different from other braces because they are not as noticeable. Clear ceramic braces are more expensive than metal braces, and can discolor if not cared for properly, rendering them more visible. Don't confuse clear braces with plastic aligners, which are not helpful for serious alignment problems, cannot be used by children, are more expensive than braces and may require longer treatment than braces.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...