How will I know if my child's dental space maintainer was a success?

You will know if your child’s dental space maintainer was effective if the permanent tooth eventually comes straight into the empty space. Baby teeth act as placeholders for permanent teeth, and an effective space maintainer will do the same job, keeping the space open until the permanent tooth is ready to erupt. The dentist or orthodontist will let you know if any further treatment is needed.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
Are braces magnetized?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic braces can be constructed out of many different materials: plastic, crystal, porcelain, ...
What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...