How can I help control my child's pain related to a wire dental retainer?

Your child should not feel any pain with a wire dental retainer. If your child feels pain from a sharp wire or piece of glue, you should call your orthodontist to get the retainer repositioned and reglued. In the meantime, you can put a piece of dental wax over the sharp area that is causing discomfort. If you don’t have dental wax from the time your child had braces, you can buy some at a drugstore. You can also try using tweezers to bend the wire back into place.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...