How will I know if my child's wire dental retainer was successful?

You will know if your child's wire dental retainer was successful if her teeth stay in the correct alignment. Some orthodontists tell patients to leave their wire dental retainers on for a few years, while some see no reason to have their patients ever take them out. Teeth can shift at any age, so if your child is able to keep her teeth clean and healthy with the wire retainer in place, your child may want to consider leaving the wire dental retainer in her mouth permanently.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...
What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
What tests can determine if I need to be treated for crooked teeth?
A dentist can conduct a routine examination of your mouth to tell if you need treatment for croo...