How can my child prepare for getting a wire dental retainer?

Wearing a wire dental retainer is less noticeable than wearing braces, so your child will probably be excited not to have metal showing when smiling or talking. Wire dental retainers are placed on the lingual, or tongue-side of the teeth, and barely show. They’re also permanent, unlike the retainers that need to be removed when eating and can easily get lost.

To make a wire dental retainer, the orthodontist usually glues a thin piece of twisted wire on the backs of the teeth. The orthodontist might recommend that your child get a professional teeth cleaning after the braces are removed, or he or she may clean the affected teeth before gluing in the wire. Clean teeth are important because plaque trapped under the cement can cause tooth decay, and in addition, the teeth need to be clean for the cement to stick properly. Some orthodontists use dental cements that can decrease the amount of bacteria in plaque.

Ask your orthodontist or dentist for specific instructions on how to best prepare your child for a wire dental retainer.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...
What are orthodontic braces made of?
Orthodontic braces are made of non-magnetized materials of different types, including plastic, metal...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
Can I wear braces if I'm pregnant?
Because women who are pregnant may experience sensitive teeth and gums, braces may add to this disco...