How long does my child need to wear Invisalign braces?

The average wear time for Invisalign braces for your child may be 12 months or longer. Invisalign braces are a series of clear tray-like devices worn over teeth to apply continual pressure to crooked teeth so that they gradually realign and straighten. The braces are designed to be worn 22 hours each day and exchanged for a new set every two weeks. They are typically used in cases where less correction is needed. They are different from traditional metal braces in that they are less visible and can be removed daily for eating and brushing and flossing your teeth.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
As with braces, the length of time that your child will be in treatment with Invisalign aligners is determined by the complexity of the orthodontic problem. In my experience, the cases that I can treat successfully with Invisalign are not my most complex and the treatment times are between 9 and 18 months. Anything longer than that would probably be too difficult for aligner therapy in the first place. Good luck!

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
Do orthodontists charge more than dentists?
Gregory R. Cannizzo, DDSGregory R. Cannizzo, DDS
According to a recent survey by a dental web site their results from this same question found that C...
What is an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who first became a general dentist (usually 4 years of traini...
What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...