How can I prepare my child for invisible braces?

Your child's orthodontist should explain to him what invisible (lingual) braces are. The orthodontist will first assess your child's mouth, diagnosing bite and teeth problems, and will create a treatment plan. Your child's orthodontist may be able to create a computer representation of the entire process so your child will be prepared for each phase of treatment.

Your child must understand that by correcting bite issues, he can prevent premature wearing down of tooth surfaces and improve his speech patterns. He will also be able to bite and chew properly.

Your child must commit to following his orthodontist's instructions while he has invisible braces and after, when he may have to wear additional corrective devices to ensure long-term success.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
What is a space maintainer?
A space maintainer is a device to keep a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon. Baby...
Is orthodontic treatment necessary?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic treatment not only makes your smile look better, it also make the teeth easier to care f...
What is orthodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...