How does my child prepare for getting clear braces?

Your child can prepare for getting clear braces by visiting an orthodontist, a dentist who specializes in the prevention and correction of  irregularities and misalignment of the teeth. Make sure your child understands the process of getting braces, usually beginning with an examination and x-rays of your child's teeth followed by a plastic mold of your child's mouth. If the orthodontist needs to pull one or more teeth, your child should understand how and why the extraction is needed. Once a treatment plan is determined, your child should understand that plan and agree to take good care of their clear braces to ensure proper fit and to prevent damage.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...