How do I know if my child needs a wire dental retainer?

Your orthodontist will help you decide what type of retainer your child needs after braces. After getting your child's braces removed, you don’t want her teeth to shift back to their previous position. A retainer is useful for this “retention” phase of treatment. The wire dental retainer is glued to the back of the teeth and would be worn all of the time.

Alternatives to a wire dental retainer include the common Hawley-type retainer, a piece of plastic usually molded to the roof of the mouth. It has wires attached to the plastic, and it stays in place with wires going over the front of your teeth. This type of retainer is removable (and easy to lose), and you usually wear it 12 to 24 hours a day. Another option is a clear plastic retainer that covers the teeth, called a “vacuform” or Essix-type retainer, which is also removable.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is a space maintainer?
A space maintainer is a device to keep a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon. Baby...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
Are braces magnetized?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic braces can be constructed out of many different materials: plastic, crystal, porcelain, ...
What are orthodontic braces made of?
Orthodontic braces are made of non-magnetized materials of different types, including plastic, metal...