How can I help my child feel comfortable wearing metal braces?

You can help your child feel more comfortable wearing metal braces by softening hard edges. Use dental wax on metal brackets and wires that may rub against the inside of your child's mouth. Rinse your child's mouth with warm salt water to ease soreness. Remind your child that millions of children wear metal braces and an attractive smile is on the way.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...