How should my child care for their wire dental retainer?

When caring for his dental wire retainer, your child should know how to keep his teeth and gums clean and to make sure the wire stays in place. Make sure your child knows how to brush his teeth well, twice a day, especially behind the teeth where the wire is attached. Your child should floss daily between the wire and the gums to remove plaque and keep the gums in good health. You can also buy a special floss threader to get the dental floss through the space under the wire, available in drugstores or pharmacies. (Your child’s orthodontist or dentist can probably give you a sample as well). Some people also use a dental water jet, like a tiny concentrated hose, to clean out any food that is stuck between the wire and teeth.

The cement holding the wire can occasionally chip off, especially if your child eats food that is hard or sticky, like crusty bread or caramels. Make sure your child takes special care when eating hard or sticky foods that may damage the wire retainer.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...