How should my child care for their invisible (lingual) braces?

Your child will need to take extra effort to care for his invisible braces, also known as lingual braces. Invisible braces are much like traditional metal braces, only they’re placed on the back of the teeth. It’s easy for food to get stuck in the brackets, and this can be harder to see because the brackets are not as visible. To clean the teeth, your child should use a toothbrush and toothpaste after meals. Your child also should floss at least once a day, threading the dental floss in between the teeth to get under the wire. You can buy special dental floss threaders in the grocery store or drugstore. Your orthodontist and dentist can also give you samples. Make sure to schedule your child for professional teeth cleaning twice a year.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...
What is orthodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...