How should I care for my wire dental retainer?

It’s important to take good care of your wire dental retainer. Make sure to keep the retainer wire as well as your teeth and gums clean. Brush your teeth well, twice a day, especially behind your teeth where the wire is attached. Floss daily between the wire and the gums to remove plaque and to keep your gums in good health. You can buy a special loop to thread the dental floss through the space under the wire, available in drugstores and pharmacies. Your orthodontist or dentist can probably give you a sample as well.

Be careful that the cement holding the wire in place does not dislodge, as the wire would no longer be attached to the teeth. This can happen naturally, or from eating something hard or sticky, like crusty bread or gummy bears. Make sure to take special care when eating hard or sticky foods that can damage the retainer.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
What tests can determine if I need to be treated for crooked teeth?
A dentist can conduct a routine examination of your mouth to tell if you need treatment for croo...
What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...
What is a space maintainer?
A space maintainer is a device to keep a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon. Baby...