How should I care for my clear plastic dental retainer?

You should care for your clear plastic dental retainer by cleaning it every day. Usually, you can soak a retainer in mouthwash or a denture-cleaning product to keep it fresh and free of germs. Check with your orthodontist to see how the retainer should be cleaned, since some types should not be cleaned with toothpaste.

When the retainer is not in your mouth, you should soak it to keep the plastic from drying out. Never put a retainer in hot water or leave it near a heat source, because the plastic can warp. Don’t flip the retainer around in your mouth, as this can cause the wires to bend. Make sure you take special care of your retainer, as it can be expensive to replace.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...