Should I eat differently if I have braces?

While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of course, a healthy diet is always important, but eating too many sugary foods with braces can lead to plaque build-up around your brackets that could permanently stain or damage your teeth. Avoiding foods like popcorn, corn on the cob, chewing gum, whole apples, and other sticky foods is also a good idea. Ask your dentist about foods to avoid while you are in treatment.
Some foods can cause cavities, especially if you are wearing braces. Food can get stuck in the brackets or underneath the wires that connect the brackets. Avoiding sugary foods is  the best thing you can do to prevent cavities. Avoid caramel and other sticky foods that are difficult to clean out. Some hard foods or candies can actually break off the brackets, so avoiding these foods is important. If your brackets or wires are broken, this can add time to your treatment. If brackets break off or you have problems with wires while eating, you will need to see your orthodontist to fix it within a couple of days.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...
Can I wear braces if I'm pregnant?
Because women who are pregnant may experience sensitive teeth and gums, braces may add to this disco...
Are braces magnetized?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic braces can be constructed out of many different materials: plastic, crystal, porcelain, ...
What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...