Does insurance cover orthodontic high pull headgear?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Orthodontic insurance is structured to cover the correction of an orthodontic problem. Insurance companies pay to have the malocclusion fixed and are not usually specific about what devices (brackets, headgear, expanders, etc.) were used in the process. This is analogous to your car insurance which would pay to have your windshield replaced if broken regardless of the tools the technician employed during the procedure.

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontic insurance plans usually do not dictate what type appliances the orthodontist chooses to use. Most insurance plans will only cover a portion of the orthodontic treatment fees. The orthodontist is required to describe the treatment objectives when submitting an insurance claim, but not specify exactly what type of appliances are to be used.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...
What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...
What tests can determine if I need to be treated for crooked teeth?
A dentist can conduct a routine examination of your mouth to tell if you need treatment for croo...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...