Does insurance cover clear braces?

Many insurance companies will cover the cost of clear braces, but it depends on the type of coverage you have. Check with your insurance provider to determine your coverage. You may find that the cost of clear braces (ceramic or plastic brackets or clear plastic aligners) may run higher than traditional braces, and even with insurance, you may have more out-of-pocket costs.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
If you have orthodontic insurance, its benefit is usually a preset lifetime amount. They will pay that amount and don't really care what kind of hardware your orthodontist uses. Any "frills" like clear brackets work out to be "out-of-pocket." For example, if your braces cost $5000 and insurance covers $2000, your out-of-pocket expense will be $3000. If you add clear braces that might cost $500 extra, the fee would rise to $5500, your insurance would still only pay $2000, and you're out of pocket would rise to $3500. Make sense?

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...
Are braces magnetized?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic braces can be constructed out of many different materials: plastic, crystal, porcelain, ...