Do metal braces hurt?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Any orthodontic "appliance" that moves the teeth is going to "hurt." Braces, retainers, aligners, and everything else used to move the teeth creates inflammation in the ligaments around the teeth setting in motion the chemical changes that cause the tooth to move. That inflammation is uncomfortable. Luckily it only lasts a few days.

The process of getting metal braces usually does not hurt. The orthodontist might temporarily place spacers in between the teeth to make room for braces, which may cause soreness.

When applying metal braces, the orthodontist bonds, or glues the brackets onto the front of your teeth and attaches wires to them.

You may experience some gum or tooth soreness after each adjustment because the teeth are moving. The soreness lasts only a few days and indicates that the metal braces are working.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...
How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...