Do invisible (lingual) braces hurt?

The process of getting invisible (lingual) braces usually does not hurt. The orthodontist may temporarily place spacers in between the teeth to make room for braces, which may cause soreness.

The orthodontist bonds, or glues the brackets onto the backside of your teeth to apply invisible (lingual) braces. Because the braces are on the inside of your mouth, you will have to open your mouth wide for the orthodontist.

You may experience some gum or tooth soreness after each adjustment because the teeth are moving. The soreness lasts only a few days, and indicates that the invisible braces  are working.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Braces move teeth by creating a force that induces inflammation around the tooth. The body doesn't like that and adapts by remodeling the ligaments and bone in the area to relieve the force and eliminate the inflammation. Unless this physical and chemical response takes place, your teeth will not move. Any orthodontic system that actually moves your teeth will create some discomfort. You can minimize this soreness by taking over-the-counter pain meds and chewing sugarless gum (the chewing is like massaging a Charlie-horse, it increases blood flow to the area and reduces the amount of time you are sore). Unfortunately the adage is true in this case... no pain, no gain!

Invisible braces do not hurt. You may feel some discomfort when you are being fitted for braces, but that should be temporary. If you are in pain from your lingual braces, contact your dentist or orthodontist. 

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...
What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...