Can I use ClearCorrect braces if I am pregnant?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having braces while you are pregnant will be no problem at all. There are two things that you need to be careful of however, swollen gums and x-rays. Pregnancy changes the hormonal balance of your body while you're expecting and that change can cause "pregnancy gingivitis" or swollen gums. This is really just an exagerated response to plaque that is ever present in your mouth. The fix is just improved oral hygiene. The x-ray issue is simple... notify your orthodontist that you are pregnant and do not allow him or his staff to take any x-rays of your mouth until after you've delivered.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who first became a general dentist (usually 4 years of traini...
What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...
Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...
What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...