Can I get metal braces if I am pregnant?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having braces while you are pregnant will be no problem at all. There are two things that you need to be careful of however, swollen gums and x-rays. Pregnancy changes the hormonal balance of your body while you're expecting and that change can cause "pregnancy gingivitis" or swollen gums. This is really just an exagerated response to plaque that is ever present in your mouth. The fix is just improved oral hygiene. The x-ray issue is simple... notify your orthodontist that you are pregnant and do not allow him or his staff to take any x-rays of your mouth until after you've delivered.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...